Lambing Day 3 – Bogged Down


Lambing Day 3 – Bogged Down

Dad did the early shift this morning, all was well, despite it being a wet and windy morning. There were a couple of new lambs that were up and had that first drink of milk so were ready to conquer the world.

I went out late morning. Aila decided to come with me, we decided to take the quad bike! Five minutes into the field and I managed to bog it, again, this time well and truly bogged! Whilst trying to push the quad out I spotted a ewe lambing.

Aila finds the whole process of her Mummy trying to catch a ewe a little frightening especially when it is just her and me out in the field. So to save frightening her I took Aila to the cafe (situated on the campsite which is adjacent to the lambing field) where she sat with her Auntie.

Big baby

image1I caught the sheep and discovered that it was a huge lamb that had basically got stuck and was starting to choke. Thankfully, I got it in time and managed to pull the lamb out which after clearing its mouth and giving it a wee rub was alive. The head was very swollen so we decided to take the ewe and lamb into the shed to keep a closer eye on things. Lambs born with swollen heads can struggle to get that first vital drink of milk. Dad took the ewe and lamb in whilst I carried on going round to check the rest of the ewes.  (picture of ewe and lamb with big head)

A busy day

A ewe was lambing not far from where I lambed the first one, the water bag was just out so I left her to continue on the rest of my round to check her when I got back – in the hope she would manage to lamb herself. I went up the hill and discovered a third ewe lambing. I knew as soon as I saw her that there was problem as all I could see was the lambs nose and no hoofs.

She was a lively ewe, so I called on Dad to help me catch her. I am glad I did as the lamb had both legs back, but unlike the one the previous day the head was already out. I managed to get my hand behind the head and feel for the knee joint, which I hooked with one finger and pulled until I got the foot. It took a little time,  but once I got it, I pulled.  Once again, we were lucky the lamb was alive. We took this ewe and lamb in to the shed, as the ewe seemed a little feisty and we weren’t sure whether she was going to stay with the lamb.

I was heading home,  via the other ewe that was lambing in the hope that she would have lambed. I found her to discover the lamb hanging with only one leg and a head. I caught her and pulled the lamb out, gave it a little rub and the lamb shook his head.

Aches and pains

I enjoyed my lunch, and must admit, I ache all over having chased a few sheep round the field then wrestling them to the ground using muscles that haven’t been used for a while. I don’t have the skill of catching sheep down to a fine art, but sheer determination gets me there – I just hope no one is watching as I am sure they would have a good laugh at the spectacle.

Afternoon round was a little quieter, I marked a couple of lambs and lambed one ewe. All was fine with the ewe, everything was coming the right way (head and two legs) so it was an easy delivery and a very good mother. (picture attached)