Preparation Time: 25 minutes per 500g (1lb 2oz) and 25 minutes extra for medium
- 1 Leg of lamb or rolled shoulder (approx 2-2.5kg)
- 1 Tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 Tablespoon clear honey
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped thyme or rosemary
- A sherry glass of port (opt.)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/160oC fan assist/ Gas Mark 4.
- Wipe the lamb with paper kitchen towel and Place in a roasting tin.
- Spread the mustard over the surface of the lamb then drizzle the honey over. Sprinkle on the herbs and grind over some black pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes per 500g (1lb 2oz) and 25 minutes extra for medium. Add a splash of water to the roasting dish halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the cooked lamb to a warmed platter, cover with foil and leave to relax for 5 minutes. Meanwhile strain away any grease from the meat juices, stir in a small glass of port or red wine, boil to reduce a little and then adjust the seasoning to taste.
This dish is delicious when accompanied with Gratin Dauphnoise.